Building a custom home is quite the task. On one hand, it is exciting because you finally get to have your dream home. On the other hand, it is nerve-wracking because if you choose the wrong company for the job, you could end up with a nightmare.
What to look out for
When it comes to custom home builders Sydney has no shortage of building companies. In order to get one of the best ones, here are some things you need to look out for:
As a proof of their competency to construct a custom home, you need to see what the company has done before. You can ask about the kind of work they have done before and see if you like their style. This is important for several reasons:
- Assess their quality of work with regard to the sturdiness of the building and the quality of the finishing.
- Evaluate their creativity in creating truly unique custom homes. This will be especially important if you are meeting any granny flat builder Sydney
- Licensing and Insurance
These may seem like a formality but they are critical formalities. You need to make sure that the building company is licensed by the national and credible local associations. In addition, their insurance should be up to date to take care of possible injuries during construction, among other potential mishaps. You don’t want to get stuck with the bill if one of the workers gets injured on your property.
It is one thing for the company to give you their portfolio, but it is a completely different matter to have former clients tells you about the company. As such, make sure to talk to former clients of the company to hear what they have to say regarding the following:
- Communication – Your builder should keep you posted every step of the way. They should take the initiative to communicate to you the details of the project rather than you having to hound them for details.
- Time management – Each project has time limits and they should have a clear plan on how they intend to use that time. This is especially important for legal documents that need to be acquired before and during the construction process because if there are delays here, you may not get into your new home on time.
- Professionalism – This refers to both the project manager and the construction workers on site. They should conduct themselves in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
Building a home is like a partnership and you should find out what kind of people you may be working with.
Your project will determine the cost implications. For instance, if you are building granny flats Sydney contractors have varied costs for different designs. However, the cost for identical projects can vary depending on the construction company.
This means that you will have to check out several companies and compare prices. But remember this: cheap can be expensive. You don’t want to pick the company with the cheapest price and end up with substandard work whose repairs will cost you more than if the job had been done well the first time.